Essentrics: my classes and more
AGE BACKWARDS WITH ME IN OCTOBER
The current four-week session for Essentrics Aging Backwards® at the Seniors Outreach Services (SOS) in Napanee began on Monday, Oct. 5. Classes are on Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. (No class on Thanksgiving Monday, Oct. 12.)
There are spots available in the Monday class. Registration is limited to eight (8) participants per class due to current COVID-19 public health guidelines. Safe physical distancing will be maintained and all health guidelines will be followed. Masks are mandatory when entering or leaving the building or using the washroom.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE ESSENTRICS AGING BACKWARDS
Essentrics draws on the flowing movements of Tai Chi, the strengthening theories behind ballet and the healing principles of physiotherapy.
The program is designed to:
- Unlock tight muscles and joints
- Increase flexibility and mobility
- Increase your range of motion
- Strengthen the spine and core
- Improve posture
- Improve balance
- Help relieve pain
- Help recover from injury
- Create a youthful-feeling body
Essentrics can be easily done by anyone regardless of age or fitness level.
To learn more about Essentrics visit the website to see the videos. Scroll down to find specific ones for Aging Backwards. There are great tips to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. There’s also a video on choosing the right chair, used for support and for some of the exercises.
Check out Essentrics TV (ETV) for a variety of programs. Sign up for a 14-day free trial to see whether this is right for you.
Go to the Essentrics / Classical Stretch Facebook page for workouts with instructors from the Essentrics program, all working from their homes. These 10-minute workouts will make you feel great. You don’t have to be a regular follower of the program nor do you have to be a Facebook user to watch these videos.
With every class I teach or workout I do I’m reminded why I love this program.
I started doing Essentrics while watching the PBS Television program Classical Stretch. I learned that the exercise program was started by former ballet dancer and fitness instructor Miranda Esmonde White, who hosts the program.
Essentrics: The Esmonde Technique was developed in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and is now taught world-wide. After taking a few classes with instructors in Toronto (Ontario) and in Montreal, I wanted to teach this program in my hometown, Napanee, Ontario. I received my certification in the Essentrics Aging Backwards program in December 2019.
Essentrics has been life-changing for me, especially the Aging Backwards program.
Scroll down to read testimonials from some of my class participants about how Essentrics has helped them. To read about how Essentrics has changed my life visit my blog.
I’ve also written a guest blog post for Lori Wolf Heffner on how Essentrics fits with my writing business. As my friend and fellow Essentrics instructor, Sheri Burge, said in one her classes “Essentrics makes everything better.”
I know I am healthier and stronger. When people compliment me and ask what I’m doing to look and feel better I say “Essentrics Aging Backwards.”
Keep moving. Keep smiling. Stay safe.
- I enjoy the class because I like the flow of the movements and find it somewhat calming. After the first class I could feel certain muscles had a bit of a workout. I find it a good fit between yoga and tai chi.
- I am always interested in trying new types of exercise. I really like this program because I feel more flexible. I can actually move my left shoulder f around fully now and it is all because of Essentrics. The exercises are great for getting a full stretching workout. They are simple to do but extremely beneficial to my overall flexibility. Christine is a great instructor and I love her choice of music that goes with each portion of the program. The one hour duration of the class is also perfect. I always feel good when I leave.
- I began Christine’s Essentrics: Aging Backward Class because I liked the title! I had recently been diagnosed with arthritis in one hip and was experiencing continual pain. Surprisingly, after just one class I was feeling a bit better and the improvement continues week after week. I am thrilled! Christine has such a calm, warm manner when leading the class that you also experience calmness and feel successful at each one. I would highly recommend that you try joining a class.
- It feels like you are waking up the muscles. The pace is just right and I feel that you manage to incorporate all the muscle groups.
- Our introduction to Essentrics Aging Backwards has been a learning experience, rewarding and enjoyable. The small size of the group allows us to easily see our instructor, Christine, as she presents, explains and leads us through the numerous exercises. Movements are visually and verbally presented. The movements may at first look rather elementary but they move/stretch/activate every muscle in the body from head to toe. The program is presented at a very reasonable pace and each individual can work the exercises to his/her abilities/limitations. This is especially appreciated for Val with her arthritis and knee issues (candidate for knee replacement) and John with shoulder and lower back issues. It is amazing how it strengthens your balance and who ever thinks of exercising their ankles and toe muscles? No specialized equipment is required. It is a program that can be offered in an indoor or outdoor environment and it has been very much appreciated that we can both partake in the program as a couple. We highly recommend this program as it sure works for us!
Valerie and John B.
- I started the class when I heard about it from a few friends. It has been a great asset to me in keeping in shape and keeping stretched out. (I am very stiff in the mornings when I wake up) It is really good for helping with balance. I also like the social aspect: meeting new friends. I would definitely recommend the class to anyone. Christine is a great teacher.